Wednesday 30 January 2008

the demise of the giant turnip



Generally, I think it is a bad idea to eat anything larger than one's head. Lucky for me, this ridiculously large half-turnip in the veg box is slightly smaller than my head, which made it fair game, especially once you realize that the half-turnip is only half a sphere, while my head is a full sphere. I'm auditioning spice combos for ravioli filling, so I made a soup. Giant turnip soup: turnip, onion, quince, garlic,bay leaf,tomato paste, pomegranate syrup, cinnamon, black pepper, cardamom, currants. Served with roasted beets and olive oil and pomegranate seeds. It needed greens, so I added some spinach later. I think a mash version of this, with minor tweaking, and minus the beets (which I just ate because they were purple and therefore exciting) will make lovely ravioli filling for a dinner party this weekend. Lurking in the background is potato bread (cooked spuds, rosemary, marmite, baking powder, whole wheat flour).

crooning turnip love songs: Patsy Cline

No comments: