Friday 4 February 2011

fun things to do with millet



Dinner of the vegan whore! Ahem. Or, more politely, putanesca-inspired millet bowl.

Toast your cumin (1 tbs) and millet (1 cup) in a dry pan and then add water (1.5 cups), sundried tomatoes (3-5, cut in strips) and turmeric (1/2 tsp). While that does it's thing, get going on the rest.

Separately, in a pan:

a goodly amount of white wine
6-8 cloves of garlic (preferably smoked garlic), chopped
1 deseeded red chili, chopped
1 tbs capers, chopped
a giant handful of kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
1 preserved lemon, chopped
a splash of the olive brine
(let all that simmer a bit)

2 small heads broccoli, chopped
1 small handful parsley, chopped

Stir in some nooch at the end if you are so inclined. I was so inclined, and it was yummy.

Would you like to know a secret? To make pitting olives faster if you're going to chop them, squish them with the flat of your knife - the pits should just come out, or at least be loose enough that you can cut the olive in half and it will just fall out.



simmer along with Yo Yo Ma, voice of the tango.

3 comments:

Clara said...

This sounds and looks very delicious, but I noticed you don't use oil often in your cooking and instead you favour wine most of the time.
For health reasons I need to keep my body alkaline, so I don't drink alcohol or cook with it. Do you have an alternative?
By the way, I love your music suggestions
Clara

Clara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sinead said...

I use veg broth when I don't have wine or when I'm cooking for someone who avoids it. You could use oil if you wanted to, I suppose, but my recipes are made without it, so I can't guarantee it will taste as good (oil carries flavours differently than water or alcohol).

I don't use oil unless it's for flavour (truffle oil or walnut oil sometimes).